Opera Residences – Sydney CBD, NSW
Located just a few hundred metres from the iconic Opera House in Sydney’s CBD sits one of New South Wales most sought after and luxurious apartment buildings. Developed by Macrolink and Landream as part of the busy Bennelong Point precinct, ‘Opera Residences’ mixes well with the incredible surrounding shapes of the Sydney harbour with its unique curved glass façade.
Construction works began in 2019, with Richard Crookes Constructions (RCC) running the project. RCC awarded the perimeter edge protection and falsework contracts to the Acrow Group of Companies, allowing the business to showcase its versatile product range in a location open to all of Sydney’s eyes.
KEY FEATURES OF THE PROJECT
This taste of luxury offers its owners a special place to call home in the heart of Sydney’s Circular Quay, including:
- Incredible views of Circular Quay, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.
- 104 high end apartments over 19 levels, ground level retail, a restaurant, swimming pool and gym, and 6 levels of basement car parking.
- Stunning curved glass façade highlighting the unique curves of the structure.
- Location: 71 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales
- Overall project value: $140 Million
- Timeline: 2019 – 2021
- Lead Sub Contractor for Structures Package: Richard Crookes Constructions
OUR ENGAGEMENT AND ROLE IN THE PROJECT
- Provided 150 tonnes of Acrow Cuplok Scaffold to act as the perimeter edge protection and vertical access to the first 5 levels of the structure. This Scaffold was encased in 2456m² Uni-mesh™ to reduce the risk of debris entering the heavily trafficked pedestrian walkways below as well as the motor way besides the project.
- Provided 134 tonnes of Acrow SuperCuplok Falsework to support the high strutting level 2 off form slab.
- Provided labour to install, maintain and dismantle the Cuplok Systems.
- Provided perimeter protection around the entire project using the Natform Self-Climbing Screen System from level 5 up to level 19 (roof). This Screen System allowed for both a streamlined formwork cycle on the leading decks as well as effective platform to construct the intricate curved glass façade panels below.
- Provided a Natform Hydraulic Screen climbing system to give the site team crane independence and allow for a streamlined edge protection process which allows remained ahead of the structure.
- Provided Natform Stretcher Stair System to provide stretcher access through the top 3 levels of the structure as well as a finishing Screen below to allow for façade installation.
- Provided 40+ engineered drawings to aid in the visualisation and design of the project.
- Provided consistent on-site engineered inspections to ensure that the perimeter protection systems were being operated as per designs.
SYSTEMS UTILISED ON SITE
- Over 3200m² of Natform Screen System
- 134 tonnes of SuperCuplok Falsework
- 150 tonnes of Acrow Cuplok Scaffold
- 2456m² of Uni-mesh™
Our experience with Natform and Acrow on the Opera Residences Project has been of an incredibly high standard, from the design development stage to the delivery, installation, and ongoing service of the temporary edge protection, formwork and falsework systems. The team at Natform and Acrow have always gone above and beyond to ensure every need is met and have consistently came up with solutions to problems that arouse during the project. They were able to work around the difficult design aspects of the project, including the neighbouring building and Cahill expressway, as well as the extensive curved façade design with varying floorplates.